Thursday, September 29, 2005

Chris Doan
Worship insights: week 1
09/28/05
Observing worship team practice

Rehearsals and practices are very important when it comes worship. The reason why i think this is that your team must know the notes, music, and songs in order to conduct a worship service for God. Now, don't get me wrong; even if the music is not on key or not every note is played, the Holy Spirit can still move within the hearts of the church. But, as leaders, the worship team must be focused of why they are up there and who their focus is. Practices are just a method to which we use for the worship service to go smoother.At the practice, I learned much from Brian, the worship instructor. Not only does he have to keep track of where his part in the songs are, but also keep track of every other member in band. And this can be very frustrating for some; last night, I didn't see Brian get frustrated. He just went with flow of things and helped everyone play their music right or sing the right note.But, the most important thing that I learned from last night was that after Brian knew what he wanted and where he wanted to go with a song, it was very easy for him to explain that to the worship team.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben Robinson said...

Certainly the performace of the worship team does have an effect upon the congregation. What I wonder is whether or not this is "just the way things are" or if we've been conditioned to be this way. Are we so dependent upon the music that our worship experience will be lessened? Therein lies another problem. Our musical preferences in worship typically evolve from narcissism. Give me a good old traditional hymn or psalm and I will be happy. Give me anything that helps me to focus on the divine.

Just to clarify, I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, just articulating some thoughts you have spurned. I think we should do everything to the best of our ability, but what if the best of our ability is not up to the standard that somebody else would want? What if we simply can't play the guitar perfectly or we do hit an occasional wrong key on the piano? The church I preached in for a year and a half had virtually exhausted its musical talent. We had older women attempt to play the piano, but it's tough when you have one glass eye and the other one is weak from age. Despite the lack of musical precision we had some of the greatest worship experiences.

I don't need the rock band up front. Heck, really I don't know if I even want them. I'll take an out of tune piano with Christ centered music anyday.

12:28 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Cherry said...

Good reflection. You are also getting some rich feedback from your peers.

Dr. Cherry

P.S. Where are the rest?

9:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home